Saturday, May 18, 2013

Know your product. How to buy Manolo Blahnik or any designer for cheap.

One thing that I'm good at is window shopping.  I have been known to spend hours are Saks Fifth Avenue; trying on, examining, and studying good quality clothes.  I do this for two main reasons: 

1.  I'm teaching myself to sew.  By learning about these expensive brands, I have learned which cuts and designs look best on me.  I can also identify the best tailoring techniques and fabrics to use.  

2.  I love to shop, but I have a small budget.  By knowing what makes a great piece of clothing, I can easily translate my knowledge to thrift stores.

I either make my clothes or purchase them second hand.  Yes, for good quality designer clothes, you may be paying a pretty penny, even for second hand clothes.  But if you know what you want and what you are looking for, you might just get luck.


Today I got lucky.

My Groupon for $30 of merchandise for $15 at the Garment District was going to expire.  So I rush off to the store looking for something fabulous to wear.  In the shoe department I found these:


After a quick websearch, I confirmed that yes, these are real Manolo Blahnik's that originally sold for $595 at Barney's New York.  
The Garment District price $30!

Why so cheap?  Well, first off the Garment District is known to have great amazing quality items for super cheap.  Secondly, look at the bottoms:


As you can see, the soles have been well loved.  You can also notice that on the leather near the bridge of the foot is also starting to peel.

Sadly, these shoes were also too large for my foot, a size 8 when I wear a size 6.  

Did I buy them?  

YES

You're probably asking why would I buy a pair of shoes that are slightly damaged and two sizes too big for me.  The answer is easy:  To sell.

Manolo Blahnik's are good quality shoes... there is a high demand for them.  The leather near the bridge is easily fixable.  The soles of the shoes can be replaces for around $25.

So, total cost of shoe $15 (using $30 groupon) + $25 = $40




To be continued once the shoes arrive home from the cobbler.......





No comments:

Post a Comment