Monday, May 27, 2013

Free and Cheap education

Over the past 15 years, I have held several jobs in many different industries.  I have degrees in music, cosmetology, nursing, biology, and now looking into business school.  The truth is, I love learning.  Knowledge is power.  

Education can be expensive.  I'm lucky that I live in the same neighborhood as many world class colleges and universities.  With that comes the option to attend free lectures and informative classes.  

When I was younger, I moved to a lower tier city and was shocked to discover that education is not as freely available in other parts of the United States.  Luckily technology have caught up with the times and now continuing education is available to all.

But what does this have to do with fashion or finances?  

The more you know, the more salary negotiating power you have.

Say you are a nurse and wanted to learn more about emergency medicine.  You can find thousands of Grand Rounds online.  What about an office employee looking to move up in the ranks; perhaps a project management class.

Best of all, these classes are run by well known, well respected Colleges and Universities... ever heard of Harvard or MIT?  Some offer certificates that state that you completed the course.  Others offer you college credit (although often for a fee).

Here are some places to check out:

No comments:

Post a Comment