Tuesday, May 21, 2013

DIY beauty: The Asprin Acne Mask


When I was a teenager, I suffered from Acne.  As an adult, I never broke out during my years on the birth control pill.  However, after I switching to Mirena IUD (which I love), my skin turns into a mind field the week before my period.

I take good care of my skin.  In another life (aka one of the multiple careers I had in my twenties), I worked for several big named salons and spas.  As a cosmetologist, I learned to take very good care of my hair and skin... if I didn't I would not have any clients.  Now in my thirties, I see how critical skin care is... I can still easily pass for someone in her 20s.  

When searching for an acne treatment, there are ton of treatments costing from $1 to $1000+  The main ingredient in several acne medications is Salicylic acid.  Perhaps you have heard of it's brother, acetylsalicylic aka Aspirin.



Without getting into all the technical jargon, Aspirin is broken down by the body into salicylic acid.  Because Aspirin and salicylic acid are "essential the same" (yes, I know the biochemistry and why they are different but for this blog, we are not going to get into all the technical jargon), we can use Aspirin to exfoliate and decrease the redness and appearance of acne. 

Here is the recipe:

5-6 uncoated aspirin
1-2 tbsp of water
1 tbsp of honey (optional) 

Put the aspirin in a cup (I use a shot glass because it's easier).  Slowly add a little bit of water until the aspirin has dissolved.  If it is too thick, add more water, to watery, add another aspirin.  Mix honey into the paste.  Apply the mask for 10 mins.  Rinse your skin with water.

  
Beautiful skin can really be that easy.  Best of all, you can find aspirin for around $1-2 dollars at any store. 

Warning:
Do not use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Do not use if you are allergic to aspirin.
Do not use if you have Reyes syndrome.
Do not use on a child.
Always apply sunscreen after using any type of salicylic acid.
If the mask burns your skin, take it off!
If you are unsure if you can take aspirin, please contact your doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment