Thursday, April 18, 2013

Book Review: Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg


I'm single, work as a nurse, and do not have a "go getter" personality like Sheryl Sanberg.  I grew up in an upper middle class family where my brother's received books like The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, while I was told "You can love a rich man just as much as a poor man."  I even fell into the trap of choosing a career based on what my now ex fiance thought would be best for our family.  I am the type of woman Sheryl is trying to reach out to.

Backed up by anecdotes and statistics, Sheryl brings the difficulties women in the work place face in today's market.  She gives advice on how to interact with  coworkers with out falling into the categories of "selfish, bitchy, not a team players," ect., a common side effect of being a self reliant woman.  She also gives great advice on why a woman should continue to work after having children and how to make it work.

My only complaint about the book is there was more focus on dealing with males than with females.  In my experience (and many other individuals), it's your fellow female coworkers that try to bring you down... They do not want to see you succeed and will be the first to gossip about you "staying late with the boss." Until this mindset changes, I don't think women will succeed.

What do you think?  Have you read Sheryl Sanberg's book? Do you feel that women have the same opportunity as men?  Do women help each other get ahead in the workplace, or do we bring each other down?  What can you do to change?


Disclaimer:  I received this book as part of the Amazon Vine Program.

No comments:

Post a Comment